Holiday meals can be so heavy, and it’s refreshing to have a dessert that is light, like my homemade flourless lemon almond cake.
his is a classic cake recipe, if I’m not mistaken, from southern Spain. The basic ingredients are blanched almonds, eggs, sugar, and lemon zest. No butter or wheat flour❗ The cake behaves a bit like a souffle, it gets most of its rise from the eggs.
So, step by step.
How to make:
– Preheat the oven to 175 °C.
– In a large bowl, beat together the egg yolks, lemon zest, and 1/4 cup sugar.
– In a separate bowl, whisk together the almonds, ground cardamom, and baking powder. Add the mixture to the egg yolk mixture and beat until well combined. The mixture should resemble a paste.
– Whip egg whites to soft peaks with an electric mixer. When bubbles start to form, add a pinch of salt and the teaspoon of vinegar.As the egg whites begin to increase in volume, continue to beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
– Fold beaten egg whites into almond mixture and gently fold the remaining whipped egg whites into the batter
– Scoop batter into pan, bake at 175 °C for 30 minutes.
So, our result is softly sweet and lemony. You could easily twirl some raspberry sauce around it, or add a dollop of cream. Enjoy!?
#ESC #Elizabeta #ESClife
The project “YOU are the EU” is funded by the Agency for Mobility and EU programmes withing the program European Solidarity Corps.